Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Anaheim, Day 1

OMG, what a stressful morning.  I woke up around 5 AM to check the weather and my flight status.  There was a lot more snow on the ground than I was expecting.  The roads didn't look that great.  The flight status went from 9 AM on time to 12:30 PM departure to 12:00 PM departure to 11:00 AM departure.  Sometime between the last switch, I had fallen asleep on the couch, and freaked out that the departure time was now 11 AM.  I hadn't expected that they would move the departure time up.  I thought it was going to be cancelled because before I had fallen asleep, I heard that the airport had closed down the runways and cancelled a bunch of flights due to the snow. Crap. 
 
I threw everything together and ran out of the house.  I tried to check in on my phone, but since it was after the original cut off time (as opposed to the new cut off time because of the delay), it wouldn't work.  Double crap. 
 
I was worried that the airline would give me a hard time about that.  And then I was worried about RJ because I didn't pet him goodbye and I hadn't given him fresh water because I was rushing out of the house. 
 
SIGH.
 
Fortunately, I was able to make it to the airport on time and the airline checked me in just fine.  The security line was also short because so many flights were cancelled.  Whew!
 
I got the window seat next to an older couple going to Tahiti.  We were at the gate for a while since the plane needed to be deiced.  Once we were in the air, I zonked out for most of the flight.  The wife next to me noticed that.  "I'm so jealous!  I wish I could have slept on the flight."  Lady, it's been a stressful morning.
Ah, finally, California!  Since my boss currently has a broken arm, I had to drive the rental car.  All the anxiety that left when I got on the plane and took a long nap sky rocketed.  Nothing like driving a car that's not yours, in a place that you've never been, with your boss.  Fortunately, she was a great navigator and did an even more awesome job being a reassuring co-pilot.  We made it to the laboratory and had a successful pre-meeting meeting.  Next stop, the hotel.  Hello, cute valet guy.  After we dropped all of our luggage, we went to Downtown Disney!  Best way to end a busy and stressful day!
We looked at the restaurant options and settled with Naples...mmm, Italian food.  I went with the gnocchi: Pumpkin and potato gnocchi with Tuscan kale, smoked pancetta, fresh tomatoes.  We were able to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather.  The heat lamp kept us comfortable.
One of the candy stores had a large window where you could watch the workers make decorated candy apples.
I wanted to go into the Sephora when we were waiting for the table, but decided that I was going to be good.  The temptation to look around would have made me want to buy something!

0 comments :

Post a Comment