Pages

Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy 4th of July!

Nail Art: To get into the patriotic spirit, I did some nail art stamping last night.  I was already wearing white nails, so all I had to do was do the art.  My nails ended up getting a little jacked up over night, which was totally my fault because I did the nail art over a top coat and didn't do top coat over the nail art to seal it in.  I ended up taking it off and starting over later on today.  I did navy blue on my pinky, then white on my ring and middle finger, and then red on my remaining fingers on one hand and then did silver stamping with the floral image in this picture.  That version turned out much better.

Volunteer Activity #5 of 2014: I woke up around 5:15 this morning so that I could get to volunteer check-in at the Autism Speaks 5K race.  It was a little rainy when I got there to hand out volunteer t-shirts, but by the time I had to go to my spot on the course to cheer folks on and make sure they were going the right way, the rain had moved on.  Whew!

I have to say that it felt awkward to cheer these runners on by myself, but after I saw the cheerful reactions, I was like "Ok, it's working."  I actually saw one of my co-workers in the race.  I didn't know he was going to be running in it, so that was kinda cool.  Once the last walking came up the hill, some volunteers picked me up to take me back to the finish line where my car was.  Their truck wasn't able to get all the way there, so I walked the last quarter mile, and that was fine with me because I wanted to get my Fitbit steps in.  At the finish line, I saw this guy that I went to elementary/middle/high school with.  He was there with his wife and children.  "This is Tina.  I went to school with her since I was...2."  Ok, that might have been an exaggeration, but close enough.  We talked about what we had been doing lately and who we had seen.  I told him that my parents were still in the area and he said that he knew that.  "Yeah, I know, they live across the street from Jose (another person that I went to elementary/middle/high school with)."  Oh, huh, I guess word gets around.  Some of us went away to college only to come back and live in the same neighborhood that we grew up in.

Happy 4th!: For dinner, I went to my parents' house because they were going to be grilling steaks.  My aunt brought potato salad.  My friend Robyn, her sister and brother-in-law brought broccoli salad to share.  Meg was going to DC to see the fireworks, so she couldn't make it to dinner.  Dad also grilled vegetables, and I rounded out the meal with the blueberry cheesecake I made last night for dessert.  Whew, I'm stuffed!  Happy birthday, America!

0 comments :

Post a Comment