Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

At the Office Dilemma

Card makers out there: what do you do with cards that you don't want anymore?

When my box o' finished cards gets filled up, I usually keep the ones that I totally love and can't seem to part with (like this one, this one, and this one) and then bring the rest to the office to leave in the kitchen for any interested co-workers. While I have been giving them out for free, I am struggling with if that's such a good idea anymore. I enjoy making cards, so I'd be making them anyway, regardless if I was making any money. On the other hand, I feel that a lot of time and effort and love went into each one that giving them away for free seems...wrong? Even if I don't receive any money in return, I feel that the effort should be credited in some way. I was thinking of leaving a tip jar next to the card box, and my co-workers can decide if and how much they'd be willing to donate. The money could go towards the Red Cross or the local animal shelter or my craft fund so that I can continue to make new cards. I ran that idea by one of my colleagues yesterday, and he was very supportive of that idea. I guess he's kinda biased because he has always been willing to pay for the cards. The receptionist came by my desk yesterday afternoon and said that she had a tip for me. For some reason, I thought she meant "tip" as in "giving advice" and I was confused as to why she was reaching in her purse. She handed me some money and said "Thanks for the cards. Here's a tip." Ah, I see the word kinda got out. I'll have to talk to the leadership to see if they'd ok the idea. I just don't want anyone to make a stink about it. I guess if anyone does, I can stop bringing cards to the office all together and donate them to Operation Write Home (or a similar organization) to help them with a worthy cause.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Tonight is the last episode of Smallville ever. :'( It's the end of an era. Instead of making a new card tonight, I'm going to veg in front of the TV. I'll share the one that I made yesterday but couldn't share because Blogger was going through some maintenance. I'm still lovin' the DCVW Mango Frost paper, so I wanted to make sure that my ink color scheme was jiving with the papers that I selected. I was inspired by a Dawn McVey card I saw online. I wanted to mimic her waves using a border punch. I love the raspberry, yellow and blue together. It has a summer feel, don't you think?

Card Specs:
Ink: Colorbox chalk ink in Chestnut Roan, Blackbird, Dark Peony, Prussian Blue, Yellow Ochre. Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Wild Honey, Broken China.
Stamps: Inkadinkado (birds), K.I. Memories- Garden (sun), Martha Stewart- Toy Transportation (boat), Fiskars- Just Between Friends (sentiment)
Punch: Fiskars Upper Crest border punch
Paper: Die Cuts with a View- Mango Frost
White Gel Pen: Inkssentials

1 comments :

Jen W. said...

Gorgeous summery card! I can just feel those ocean breezes!

I totally think you should get some compensation for your cards. If you're not happy with just making money off of them then I think the charity idea is awesome. If your bosses okay it then put a little sign up with the box of cards that says all proceeds from the cards will be going to charity. Maybe have the staff suggest charities and do a different one every other month or something. Either ask for tips or set a fee.

Have a great weekend!

Post a Comment