Monday, October 31, 2011

APHA, Day 1

Today didn't start off the way I wanted to, but the day got progressively better as it went on.

I got a 4 AM wake up call from RJ, complete with bouncing on the bed, licking my hair, sticking his wet nose in my face, and messing with the dirty clothes bin. It got so bad that I shut him out of the bedroom, but then he proceeded to scratch at the door and carpet right outside the door and yowl. ARGH! I think I forced myself to fall back asleep because the next thing I knew, the cell phone alarm went off at 7:30. The automatic feeder went off at 5:45 AM, so I wasn't in a hurry to check on the him. I heard some crinkling noises downstairs as I was getting dressed for the day and didn't think much of it. I went downstairs to pack up and go to the Metro and I saw that the little terror had chewed a small hole through my plastic snack bag and sneaked a few nibbles of my oatmeal cookie. RAWR!

The world must be in balance today because while the Metro rides yesterday were a pain, the ones getting to the Convention Center today for the American Public Health Association conference today were smooth sailing. I didn't have to wait for trains very long and I got seats both trips. You'd think that with such a large conference, you wouldn't know anyone there, but in fact, I ran into many people from my previous job, former co-workers from my current job, and professors from graduate school. I went to a session this afternoon on work place wellness programs and one place did a Biggest Loser-like competition. The individual that lost the most percentage of body weight would win $500! The before and after pictures of the winner were rather dramatic.

The other thing I like about this conference is the freebies that exhibitors give out. Check out my loot below! 1 water bottle, 1 container for hot drinks, hand sanitizer, pens, tiny flashlights, a letter opener, and stress relievers. One thing that wasn't for free, but I had to buy because it was so cute was a "I heart guts!" stationary pack. I'll have to use it when I send my next letter to Suzie. I was surprised to see so much candy at a public health conference, but I guess everyone was in the Halloween spirit. I even saw a few people wearing costumes. One guy had fake spiders attached to his shirt and pants. It reminded me of that scene at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark when the person has all the tarantulas on his back. Gross. One of my co-workers told me that some kid came up to him and asked him to guess which Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle he was. My co-worker guessed correctly and the kid was reportedly sooo happy.

This is my first Halloween at the new place, and while I didn't get many trick-or-treaters, I had enough where they took all but 5 pieces of candy (Almond Joy and Mounds), which I'm saving for myself. :) Even though RJ was acting crazy last night, he didn't try to make a dash for the door when the kids came for candy. I guess it all evens out at the end of the day.


Post a Comment