Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Aline's Baby Shower

Today was Aline's (co-worker) baby shower, and I'm glad I was able to go because I missed the one held at the office.

I have finally experienced "Africa Time." It really does exist. My former co-worker Morgan (he's from Zimbabwe) introduced me to this concept a while back. It's when an event starts an hour later than what is says on the invitation and people showing up late is completely normal and expected. The invitation said 4 PM, so of course, I get to her friend's house a little after 4 PM, thinking that I was late. I got there and rang the doorbell several times, but no one answered. Uh oh. Hm. I checked the address on my phone, and I was in the right place. Where was everyone? I almost walked to my car, but then a car pulled up. "Sorry we're late!!" The host was running late and he told me that Aline was running late as well because of taking care of some last minute details and ride coordination. This is when I realized that I was the first one here. It was kinda awkward sitting in the living room for a while by myself. Ha ha.

Anyway, people were showing up like 1-1.5 hours later than it said on the invitation and for a while, it was just co-workers. The food was being served around 6:45 (the invitation said that the event was from 4-6 PM), but I didn't have any because I was planning to go to my parents' house to drop of some stuff. Aline opened my gift and gave me a big hug. She really liked the blanket that I gave her. You can see it in the picture on the left. Her friend was like "Uh, Aline, that's for the baby. Not for youuu." As I was getting my coat on my way out the door, the host was like "Yeah, you'll be remembered for this." Well, I do like to make an impression :) It was a fun time, and I'm glad that Morgan told me about what "Africa time" was a while back, because otherwise, this situation would have been more weird than funny.

1 comments :

Jen W. said...

Africa time sounds suspiciously like Bermuda time...

Post a Comment