Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Public Speaking

Community Service: Today, I was invited by my friend Jessie to speak to her 8th grade girls after school program about college and careers. I was very pleasantly surprised how this event turned out. I was greeted at the door by one of the girls and shown which room to be in. The room erupted into, "HI, MISS TINA!" Uh, hi. Wait, how do you know what my name is? Jessie must have caught my confused expression and held up a pack of bios with pictures. Ah, I see.

We broke up into 4 groups with 2 "adults" in each group. The girls rotated every 10 minutes or so. The girls were really sweet and asked thoughtful questions like "How does college help you with your time management and writing skills?" and "Did your friends get in the way of college?"

At the end, each of the "adults" was instructed to give a piece of advice. I had to think of something really quick. No one wants to be the last one with nothing creative to say. I decided to paraphrase this quote: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”― Maya Angelou

Card: I'm slowly starting to use the new crafty items that I bought a few weeks ago (yeah, what a concept, right?). To pass the time last night, I made a quick card using my new Martha Stewart fish punch to create this card. I used my printer to create the sentiment, and it somehow printed a little higher than I would have liked, but instead of recycling the card base, I just put a border on the bottom that has a wave-feel to it.

I looked up the punch online, and regular price, it's $16 on Amazon (?!). I got it for $3 at Marshalls. Mwah ha ha ha.

Card Specs:

Paper: Die Cuts with a View- Mango Frost
Punch: Martha Stewart- Embossed Tropical Fish, Fiskars Upper Crest border punch

3 comments :

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Now that is a fun looking card....I shall have to remember that one....lol!

Jen W. said...

Nice save on the card - I really like the strip on the bottom. I hate using the printer for sentiments - it always takes me way to many tries to get them in the right place!

Paige Taylor Evans said...

What a cute card! And that's great that you were able to talk to so many girls about their future!

Post a Comment