Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Communicating with Tact, Diplomacy and Professionalism

So yesterday and today, I've been in a SkillPath course entitled "Communicating with Tact, Diplomacy and Professionalism."  Yes, this was something that I volunteered for, not something that my boss asked me to go to.  She probably sighed with relief, since I got into a little bit of trouble this summer at work for speaking my mind and showed some claws.

I got some good nuggets of wisdom here and there.  For example:
  • Sometimes it's okay to resolve conflicts via email.  And as I'm typing this up, I wonder if I just imagined that because isn't that something that we're taught not to do?
  • Men are looking for a report.  Women are looking for rapport.
  • The foundation of all successful communication is a positive self-image.
  • Self-esteem must be maintained.
While I appreciated the speaker's enthusiasm and knowledge about the topic, she did overshare her dysfunctional family/childhood and her health issues (upcoming surgery and the ileostomy bag she was wearing, which previous seminar participants had expressed concern about and she didn't want us to be worried.  "Ma'am, we're a little concerned because it appears that you have a growth of some sort"  o_0 What?!  Who on earth would ask such a thing?!).  Whoa there.  We just met!  That's a little TMI.  I couldn't tell if she just thought these stories were the best examples to illustrate her point or she wanted us to feel sorry for her or...something else?

I made it to spin class tonight.  I was surprised that there wasn't a sign over the noisy bike, saying it was out of order.  Someone sat it in tonight and Tuesday night and the bike made clanking sound in both classes.  I felt for them because you could sense their frustration as the class went on.

0 comments :

Post a Comment