Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Sigh of Relief

The rest of my long weekend was spent in a mental funk.  The work issue has yet to be resolved and today, I had had enough.  I spent part of last night drafting an email to the data director, asking to reconsider checking the data again and specifying reasons why.  The response I got was (or at least how I read it), "If you want to check the data, go ahead and do it.  Let me know what you find.  I'm really swamped right now." o_0 What? Ok, not cool.  So much for being a team effort.  I sat at the kitchen table debating on what to do.  I had to tell my boss about this.  I couldn't wait any longer.  I might explode or implode.  Where do I even begin?  Julie suggested, "Just start somewhere."  I called my boss up and told her everything.  I kept a mental note to keep my voice even and quiet, but as my explanation went on, it got louder and louder and I couldn't hide my frustration anymore.  If I was at the office having this conversation, it might have been different. But while teleworking, I can have my (unprofessional?) emotional outburst without feeling embarrassed.  I need a resolution.  "I am pissed off!" My boss offered some suggestions and said her phrase, "That's all we can do."

Whew, ok, I feel better now.  I just had to let that out.  I'm not sure how the data director is going to react to my boss talking to her about this, but I guess I can't really worry about that.  I did the best that I could to get to the bottom of this and I'm not getting any answers.

"Here's something that might cheer you up."

o_0 Oh, really?  If I knew this conversation would go the way it's going, I would have told her about this problem a long time ago instead of holding it in.

"I was going to tell you on our 1-1 tomorrow, but I figured this would be a better time to tell you since it sounds like you need some positive news.  I wanted to let you know that you got a raise.  We appreciate your work ethic and your attention to detail."

Aw, that's nice.  Yes, this did cheer me up.  I was worried I'd hear the disappointment in her voice about the whole work issue, but she was a lot more calm than I was about it.

I saw a thing on Pinterest last night...something to the effect of "Things will be alright."  Yeah, so true.  I wish I had thought of that sooner.  A lot of M&Ms and a pint of Ben and Jerry's would have been spared.

In other news, I went to the dentist this morning and came back with a clean bill of health.  The dental receptionist is leaving for FL in a few weeks and I dropped off a card and a bag of chocolates to express our appreciation on behalf of my family.  She always takes such good care of us in terms of appointments and insurance and billing, so I figured that was the least we could do.  She gave me a big hug.  We will miss her!

0 comments :

Post a Comment