Pages

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Book #2 of 2014

I picked up this book up at the library recently: The Truth About Style by Stacy London.  It was a quick read and I really enjoyed it.  It was like reading What Not to Wear, minus the appearance of Clinton Kelly and add in London's personal stories. 

She made over several women throughout the book and each makeover was documented with what the style (or emotional) hang up was, how does London relate to that problem, what the final makeover look like, why it works, and some reflection to tie it up. 

I found London refreshing on WNTW (so sad the show is over!), but some of show's appeal lies in the interaction with Stacy and Clinton.  With the book, it's about London and that's okay.  She's entertaining all on her own!  There were parts of the book that made me laugh out loud (thankfully, I was by myself) and others that made me nod my head in agreement.  I found myself relating to what she had to say on her skin, weight, and marital status.  She even has a cat.  Maybe we can be friends!

There's a shopping guide in the back of the book and I thought it was cool that she included places where people on a budget could find clothes: Target, Old Navy, New York & Company, etc.  Style and fashion shouldn't just be for the rich and famous.  Everyone should be able to feel confident in cool clothes at an affordable price.

I finished reading it last night, but wished there was more to read!  I thought reading this book was very timely since the TODAY show is doing a week-long segment on body image and self confidence.  #loveyourselfie.

One thing I found amusing while I was reading this book was that a previous reader of the book was upset about the misuse of words.  "Flare" was crossed off and replaced with "flair" and "nerve-racking" with "nerve-wracking."

0 comments :

Post a Comment