Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

CrossFit Games, Day 1

File today under #outofmyelement.

My sister, who's really into CrossFit, mentioned something a while ago about the regional games and possibly volunteering at the event. I decided to join in, since I had a comp day from working the Annual Meeting. 

It was an early morning (alarm went off at 5:30 am). Julie and I left the house around 6:15 am and headed the games. We knew that we had media volunteer assignments, but it wasn't clear to me in the emails that we received what that actually meant.

Julie and I waited around as other volunteers were given their assignments. I chatted with another volunteer and it turns out that she was from Raleigh. I told her that that's where I had just been for work. I recapped all the good restaurants I ate at and she agreed that they were yummy. She was at the Busy Bee Cafe on Wednesday too. It's possible we could have crossed paths.

After talking to the coordinators, we got assigned to social media. Our job was to watch the events and keep track of who was in the lead and their times so that they could be broadcasted via social media. 

The event that we watched was called the "Jackie"- 1000 meter row, 45 pound Thruster- 50 reps, 30 pull-ups (yikes!). As the start got closer, the energy was palpable. People were definitely getting amped up. In the first team heat, a woman passed out from exhaustion and had to be carried away by the medics. That was scary, and I hoped that wasn't an ominous sign of things to come.  Fortunately no one else got hurt during the rest of the time we were there.

Watching the athletes was intense.  And the times were especially close for the men's heats.  Whew, I got exhausted just watching!  I noticed that one of the guys in the team event was Derrick from Road Rules.
Bright and early morning!
Row, row, row your boat...oh, wait.
Volunteers got a free lunch, so this is the one that I got.  Julie got the same thing.  I gravitated towards it because I love pulled pork, but I ended up not really liking it and giving Julie the rest.
RJ- "Can I have some?"  Julie's watching a Supernatural marathon on TV.

0 comments :

Post a Comment