Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

R.I.P. Uncle, Part 3

Yesterday, the local Taiwanese community wanted to hold a memorial service for my uncle who passed away on July 17. There was quite a crowd, so much so that several people in the back had to stand during the eulogies. About 10 people were asked to say a few words, and I thought it was cool that they all had similar things to say about my uncle. To me, that means that he was a very consistent person, someone who didn't treat people from one part of his life different from another. Common themes were his love for his family, friends, and county...while he was very budget-conscious to himself, he was very generous to people he cared about. Most of the eulogies were spoken in Taiwanese, and I could only understand about 70% of what they were saying. I started to tear up a little during the ones in English because those, I got. My cousin's wife silently handed me a tissue, and I was thankful that she did because I wasn't expecting that I'd get that emotional. After the eulogies, there was a song played and Dad got up to say a few words as a family representative and thanked the community for the outpouring of support during this difficult time. I was a little afraid that he'd get a little choked up, but somehow he managed to get through it. Good job, Dad.


Song of the day: "Marchin' On"- One Republic

0 comments :

Post a Comment