Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

One-Layer Wednesday #45

At my new office digs today, some state convention people brought food for us! Free food? Yes, please. I think their idea was that they'd shower the meetings coordinator (he's on my side of the street) with free food, hoping that it'd convince him to hold meetings where they are, particularly our Annual Meeting. Do they realize that he just sets up the meetings, but he doesn't really make the big decision on where it's held? Shh, don't tell them. We like the free food. Today's menu was 2 platters of sandwiches, a platter of desserts and a platter of fruit. Feed me and I'll be one happy camper.

I could not pass up a nice sunny day, so I went for a run after work today. I started out thinking I'd do 3 miles, but as the run went on, I was actually feeling pretty good (instead of sluggish) so I went for my usual 4.85 miles around the neighborhood with my newish shoes. I need to work up to 6ish miles so that I'll be prepared for the 10K in May (eek...). Hello, daylight, thanks for hanging out longer.

Do you know what hex signs are? I didn't, but I educated myself after seeing that this week's One-Layer Wednesday (#45) is inspired by them. My new circle die came in really handy because I don't think I could stamp everything evenly without some sort of template. I die cut a circle out of some scrap paper. This served 2 purposes: I traced the circle on the card front and then did a test layout on the scrap piece of paper. That way, I would know how things would fit on the card front when I was satisfied with how the elements were going to fit together. I decided to go with hearts, leaves, and bird images because those seemed to be common in hex signs I found online during my "research." I love how these hex layouts are so versatile. Just by changing the elements in the collage, you can change the feel/season/purpose of the card. For example, you could do something with snowflakes for holiday cards.

Card Specs:
Ink: Colorbox chalk ink in Prussian Blue, Warm Green, Warm Red, Rose Coral, Yellow Ochre, Charcoal
Die: Spellbinders Nestabilities Standard Circles Large
Stamps: Fiskars- Friendship Garden (heart), Autumn Leaves- Build-a-Flower (leaf, hex center), American Crafts- Dear Lizzy- Warbler (bird), K.I. Memories- It's a Girl (dots), The Paper Company Studio- Greetings (sentiment)
Punch: We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper
Other: Black Sharpie Ultra Fine Point marker

How freakin' stinkin' cute are these plushie bunny Peeps (via Kristina Werner)?! Hee-larious.

6 comments :

Jennifer Styles said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

I just love what you came up with!

Fantastic job on the challenge!

Thanks for playing along with OLW45!

Jen W. said...

Awesome take on this challenge! I'm feeling a little intimidated by it but you made it look so easy. :)

Susan said...

I see you "practiced" on scrap paper too! I almost always do that! Your hex came out fabulous!! I love all the elements you used!

kingstonmama said...

I love your card! I really like how you did the broken line around the edge. It goes so well with the 'folk art' feel of the hex design.

Jenny said...

Great card and the images you've used are just right x

Deborah Frings said...

Love it - the colours are so bright and cheerful, and I really like the hand-stitched border. Fab!

Post a Comment